Sunday, April 24, 2016

Samsung Galaxy S6 edge: a year later, he is still on top? – Frandroid

Last year, roughly the same period, Samsung launched its Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, two smartphones that were – not surprisingly – also well received by critics and the general public, as evidenced by the good results of the manufacturer in 2015. This is also the time when I got mine. During these twelve months in his company, I had a strong relationship with this phone, like I regretted many times my old Nexus 5 and as I found myself dreaming of adopting some of the phones I was testing in these columns.



the return of a sudden heart

to replace the context, I had at the time of their release the Galaxy S and S2, then I gradually lost my interest in the brand with the S3 and S4 and especially 5 which particularly disappointed me personally . With the edge yet S6, the South Korean brand has managed to make me in the eye again, if only by its design both neat and out of the ordinary. It is true that at the time, the Galaxy S6 edge had received very good reviews.



read: Galaxy S6 edge Test

at the time, except for the Galaxy Note Edge and some exotic attempts like the Galaxy Round and the LG G Flex, the Galaxy S6 Edge was the first smartphone with a curved screen to be mass produced. This unusual design has at least the merit of the evening indeed. After several months with the S6 edge, I can not count the number of people who marked off on my phone and its screen with rounded edges, as most geeks of the last dissidents who continue to use a 3310 in 2016. Today ay, the effect is somewhat fallen, but the edge GS6 none the less beautiful and remarkable.

Unfortunately this aesthetic is at the expense of handling comfort. Too flat and too sharp edges, the Galaxy S6 edge is far from being a pleasure to handle. With a hull flap “Smart Cover” that default – since corrected the Galaxy S7 – never really bothered me so far

 samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-13

With the hull, the edges do not touch the palm almost

this shell has had the opportunity to absorb some shocks in one year, which did not prevent my phone to do some unprotected hovers. Nevertheless, it has still good and aged well, despite a few scratches here and there on its steel strapping, that attest to her age.

 samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-12

small scratches on the silver edging



slowdowns and unnecessary edges

on the side of the interface, it is necessarily to taste everyone, but I find that Samsung has made great strides in that direction, and once the icons look very childish modified using a theme (Material Design in my case), TouchWiz is quite feasible. With time and the growing number of applications installed, however, I began experiencing slowdowns and bugs undergo everyday. The majority of these problems nevertheless disappeared with the recent update to Android 6.0 Marshmallow. It only remains to hope that they do not reappear by the arrival of Android N, in which case I could let myself be tempted by a custom ROM.

With regard to the side flaps, like many, I was very disappointed. The first point justifying this is that with a Smart Cover, the notification light is no longer visible since the flap completely covers the edge of the screen. As for other features, such as quick contacts or application shortcuts, they fell into oblivion after a few days, so that I eventually disable them completely. After updating to Marshmallow, I retried the experiment to see if the innovations introduced by this new version changed the situation, but it is not. After a few days, I again turned this feature off and bent my screen Galaxy S6 edge thus find themselves confined to an aesthetic gimmick. Beautiful, yes, but totally unnecessary.

In the long term, my biggest disappointment concerns certainly the fingerprint sensor which, although more reactive than the Galaxy S5, appears quite slow compared to what is done today. After a week with Meizu PRO 5 or Huawei P9 for example, it is difficult to return to the Galaxy sensor S6 and multi sometimes necessary tests to unlock the phone.



short term power

in terms of performance, Samsung has struck a blow in 2015 its Galaxy S6 edge Exynos processor 7420 and stayed a long time at the top. If it is the best currently, the S6 edge remains a racing machine, and there is not an app on the Play Store able to ask her knee. Unfortunately, this power is offset by two problems of size.

The first is the heating. Heat dissipation of the Galaxy S6 edge is important, and it quickly becomes unpleasant to use, especially as this feeling is present both in the front and back of the unit, and that even a shell n ‘therefore prevents not to warm hands. Worse yet, use it to virtual reality with the Gear VR is not more than a half-hour, the phone who then need to rest.

The second problem is of course the autonomy. The Galaxy S6 edge has never been the most enduring phone, but as a former user of the Nexus 5, I was particularly happy to take a big day with more screen without using 4:30 to worry about off GPS or lower the screen brightness. After about 8 months though, is however another tune. I do not go anywhere without an external battery and I always take care to put my phone on charge in writing if I know the evening will be long to avoid any mishap.



the picture, or why I will not change

But what really makes the strength of the Galaxy S6 edge for me is undoubtedly his camera. At the time of its release, it has pleasantly surprised all who had the opportunity to try it, and now, it has been surpassed by DxOMark by the Galaxy S6 edge +, Galaxy S7, Sony Xperia Z5 HTC and 10.

to be honest, a year later I’m still pleasantly surprised by the quality of photos the S6 edge and it became my main companion in my travels, whether professional or personal. It’s still a course phone camera, which implies some limitations, but realizes dazzling shots during the day when all the conditions are good, and provides a result absolutely correct in low light.



After a year, I still

After a year in the company’s Galaxy S6 edge , my opinion is somewhat mixed and I await the opportunity to replace it for a device that will have more autonomy, a microSD port, and possibly free of bugs interface. In this sense, I expected a lot of Nexus 2015, but neither the 5X or the 6P have convinced me, one because of its limited performance and one of its sheer size. For now, so I’m just my imperfect Galaxy S6 edge and its external battery that accompanies me everywhere until a manufacturer finally decided to offer a phone that suits me more …

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment